Saturday, May 25, 2013

Polite Prophets?


As we have been reading the prophet's, I can't help but think about how people would respond to their aggressive speeches today.  They were clearly working with a different set of rules.

Diplomacy is deeply ingrained in our society.  It is the appropriate and polite way to change things.  And I think this is a great way to bring ideas to the table and discuss openly with others.  Everyone's perspective has value and I think these are all good things.

However, I wonder if we have become too polite? Are there some circumstances that require us to name the evil, to shed light in the dark places?

The prophets were quick to share all the problems they saw within their society.  I think this added a kind of URGENCY to their arguments.  Diplomacy and urgency don't always mesh very well sometimes. But I think we can learn from the prophet's sense that oppressors, exploiters don't necessarily need to be dealt with politely.  A little strength and backbone could help in this area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment