Monday, June 3, 2013

Welcoming the Stranger

I'd like to respond to a classmate's blog.  Kevin wrote a really great post about the importance of the temple "God's home" in the prophetic books which you can find here. Kevin sees that a home is reflective of the person which is why it was important to God to have a temple that reflected God's glory.


 I wanted to take a slightly different perspective and I wonder if we too, then look differently at people who do not have a home or are from a different home than our own. It also makes me think about how a refugee defines home then.  Working with refugees is something I am particularly interested in.  In the prophetic books, the Jews found themselves displaced and scattered and struggling to maintain their identity.  I wonder if maintaining identity is possibly the hardest part of leaving one's homeland.  Often, one's culture is looked down upon or seen as different and sometimes even barbaric.  You are told that you need to learn a new language and a new way of how to do things. I'm sure the Jews were frustrated and felt many time unable to truly be themselves.

I am no refugee, but I spent about two years living in Cairo, Egypt and it is a very different way to do life.  I wore shirts past my elbow and pants or jeans.  I looked down a lot while walking in the street because looking men in the eye could be seen as promiscuous.  While we took time off on the weekends from work, I was still always making sure I was being culturally appropriate which makes it feel like you are always working.  Leaving the country for vacation was really the place where I felt like I could be myself again. I could speak my heart language and visit with friends who understood my faith. I didn't have to be on the clock.

Now I loved my time there but it wasn't always easy.  There were days when it was 120 degrees outside that I wanted to be in shorts and a tank top.  But I remembered why I was there and that I had chosen to be there and sacrifice my comfort.



Refugees do not always get the choice. I know we are called as Christians to welcome the stranger.  I think we can do more than be hospitable though.  We can learn who these people are.  Where they are from, what they believe, what their history is, what their stories are and perhaps then we can show that they are loved and that there is a home for their identity, for their being. 



To learn more about how you can help welcome the stranger, check out these links.
World Relief
Catholic Charities

No comments:

Post a Comment